Director, Legislative Affairs
The National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA) seeks a Director, Legislative Affairs to play a prominent role in formulating and implementing the Association’s strategic legislative advocacy agenda. NACWA is the premier trade association representing the nation’s public clean water utilities and this position plays a vital role in the day to day execution of NACWA’s strategic advocacy.
- Work collaboratively with NACWA’s existing Director, Legislative Affairs to develop, coordinate and implement strategies to achieve legislative goals and objectives.
- Establish and maintain ongoing relationships with Members of Congress, their staffs, government agencies, interest groups and other organizations to represent and advance NACWA’s interests.
- Monitor legislative proposals and provide review and analyses, including the coordination of NACWA member utility reviews and comments.
- Draft Congressional testimonies and prepare witnesses.
- Inform NACWA members of legislative developments through NACWA’s communications.
- Act as a staff liaison to assigned NACWA Committees and Workgroups.
- Oversee and supervise contractors who provide services and support to NACWA.
- Participate in the planning and staffing of NACWA meetings and conferences, particularly local congressional based-events.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ work experience.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Previous legislative experience and/or legislative advocacy experience strongly preferred, especially on federal environmental policy issues.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other members of NACWA’s staff to advance the Association’s overall advocacy objectives.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional and effective working relationships with legislative officials and NACWA leadership.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Salary is commensurate with experience. NACWA offers an excellent benefits package. Some out-of-town, overnight travel is required. NACWA’s offices are located in the Dupont Circle area of Washington DC and easily accessible by Metro and public transportation. For more about NACWA, visit www.nacwa.org.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter (including salary requirements), resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received, with interviews for promising candidates scheduled on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No calls please.
NACWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, gender, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law