The successful candidate will work with a team to implement a large, complex program for a major water resource recovery utility. In this role, the candidate will deal with complex issues, coordinate and interface with stakeholders, and manage comprehensive capital planning and engineering efforts. The candidate will provide management support for multiple projects to ensure they move together toward meeting the overall program management objectives and goals. The successful candidate will have the ability to coordinate with engineers, stakeholders, contractors, and other parties in an enforcement environment, providing input and collaborating on decisions. It is critical for the candidate to be strong communicator and to be able to influence others to accomplish objectives in this role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plan, manage, and oversee the design and construction of large-scale wet weather facilities to meet program goals.
- Review scope, schedule and budget for
- Provide key program management support.
- Manage project delivery and execution.
- Interact with the Owner’s Advisor team to confirm work is progressing per schedule and budget.
- Ensure that the work is being developed to the appropriate level of completeness and quality.
- Simplify complex topics for non-technical audiences and prepare quick pointed summaries for executives and stakeholders.
- Review complex technical reports, design packages, and other program deliverables.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Environmental or related engineering field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Five to Ten years of experience with municipal water/wastewater utility engineering.
- Valid Professional Engineer (PE) license in Virginia or ability to obtain Virginia license within 6 months desired.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from Project Management Institute desirable.
- Experience in the planning, design and execution of large municipal and/or federal facilities.
- Experience in multi-jurisdictional inter-agency coordination to implement projects.
- Knowledge of water quality issues and associated regulatory requirements.
- Effective communication skills i.e. ability to communicate orally and in writing - across functions and teams, up and down the chain of command
- The ability to influence people to get things done.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to proactively deal with conflict.
- Highly motivated self-starter with a passion to accomplish capital projects.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. A detailed Physical Demands Analysis is available in Human Resources and a copy will be provided to all incumbents in this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee’s strength demands are typical of office work, and include lifting up to 10 pounds, and minimal pushing or pulling. The manager may, however, perform duties of subordinate staff as necessary.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Environmental conditions necessitate following strict safety guidelines and use of Personal Protective Equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs work indoors in a climate controlled environment, with outdoor trips between buildings required. Some areas of the plant are hot and humid at times.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.