Field Science Technician

City of Portland, Bureau of Environmental Services
Portland, OR

THE POSITION:

The Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) is seeking a Field Science Technician.  The Field Science Technician position performs environmental monitoring duties to support compliance with Federal, State, and local regulations, bureau watershed health initiatives, and collection system infrastructure planning. This position performs field monitoring tasks by following standard operating procedures in accordance to nationally recognized standards from a wide range of environmental media. 


Typical field activities include surface water sampling; watershed health assessments; biological monitoring including electrofishing and macroinvertebrate collection, industrial wastewater monitoring, stormwater sampling, sewer flow monitoring, groundwater monitoring, and other monitoring services. Much of the fieldwork is physically demanding and may involve climbing steep stream banks, operating motorized and non-motorized watercraft, performing work in manholes, sewer pipes, and other confined spaces, working in and around traffic, performing heavy lifting (up to 70 pounds), and working in inclement weather and at irregular hours. Approximately 80% of this position will be spent in the field.  The remaining 20% is spent in the office for record keeping, data entry, and organizational activities; including but not limited to: database management, analyzing and summarizing monitoring data, entering water-quality and watershed data, managing bureau and City files, and maintaining monitoring equipment and data collection devices.


TO QUALIFY:

The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:

  1. Knowledge, through education and/or experience, of physical and biological sciences and their application to environmental monitoring projects.
  2. Knowledge of field data collection and research methods for environmental monitoring and investigation projects.
  3. Ability to perform work thoroughly, neatly, accurately, and efficiently, both individually and as part of a team.
  4. Ability to conduct effective problem solving in all working conditions including office and field environments.

Applicants must also possess: 

  • A valid state driver's license and an acceptable driving record at the time of hire. 
  • Ability to routinely enter confined spaces including manholes and sewers; and work in rough, steep and uneven terrain.
  • Ability to lift and carry up to 70 pounds and work outdoors in all weather conditions.
  • Ability to perform very physical and strenuous work under hazardous working conditions, significant traffic risk and potential exposure to unknown chemicals.

Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland is committed to offering medical, dental, vision, basic life, and long-term disability coverage that provides quality care, support and value to eligible employees and their family members. Additional benefits such as flexible spending accounts, supplemental life insurance and employee assistance program coverage is available to ensure employees have the appropriate tools to safeguard themselves and their family.