Water Treatment Plant Manager
Under general supervision, manages the day-to-day operations and maintenance of the water treatment plant and assigned related facilities including the overall appearance at the plant and facilities.
*This position performs duties deemed to be “safety sensitive" and is therefore subjected to random drug testing under the City’s policies*
- Plans, organizes, and directs the daily activities of the water plant personnel.
- Hire, trains, assigns, directs, schedules, supervises, evaluates, and disciplines personnel.
- Coordinates activities of the division with other departments, divisions, and City officials.
- Prepares and monitors the water treatment plant annual budget.
- Assists in planning water plant improvements.
- Develops, reviews, revises, and enforces policies.
- Prepares reports, studies, memoranda and correspondence; signs regulatory compliance reports.
- Manages testing programs mandated by federal and state regulatory agencies for compliance.
- Manages the analysis, transport, and disposal of sludge.
- Manages the supplemental water supplies of the City while ensuring the distribution system meets water quality standards.
- Reviews, interprets, and makes recommendations and adjustments based on the water quality data.
- Performs, trains, schedules and supervises the laboratory and facilities instrumentation QA program and sampling analyses.
- Reviews and processes payment authorizations and requisitions.
- Monitors flow instrumentation and ensures proper calibration.
- Handles employee matters and personnel issues as needed.
- Interacts with the general public in regards to plant conditions; hosts facilities tours.
- Maintains and updates facilities data records.
- Undertakes preventive and predictive maintenance of the equipment of the water plant and related assigned facilities.
- Evaluates cost effectiveness of chemical use.
- Operates and maintains high hazard dams.
- Oversees instrument readings, laboratory test results and operating records to ensure that all federal and state water regulations are followed and all processes are being maintained.
- Ensures proper calibration of all testing, analytical and measuring equipment.
- Ensures proper collection of representative samples from the plant and performance of chemical, physical, and bacteriological tests to ensure water quality; submits samples for testing as required.
- Coordinates the Plant Safety Program to ensure safety protocols are adhered to and all personnel are utilizing City-issued personal protective equipment as required; also schedules and conducts safety meetings.
- Recommends ways to improve plant performance; oversees construction projects; procures materials and supplies for the operation of the water plant.
- Coordinates and conducts ODEQ-approved operator training for personnel at the water plant and elsewhere in the Utilities department.
- Participates in design and construction meetings for current and future projects at the water plant.
- Responds to and manages emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires a bachelor's degree in a course of study related to the occupational field, supplemented by a minimum of 5 years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Requires possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Oklahoma for the type of vehicle or equipment operated. Requires possession of or the ability to obtain an ODEQ Class A Water Operator License and ODEQ Class A Laboratory Operator License within 12 months of employment.