BES values equity in our workplace, business practices, and service delivery. As Portland’s wastewater and stormwater utility, BES serves more than 625,000 customers. Every resident, business, industry, and visitor relies on our services every hour of every day. We have more than 600 employees who operate, maintain, plan, and improve all aspects of the city’s wastewater and stormwater systems to protect and restore the health of Portland’s streams and watersheds. We know our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workforce will result in better service and engagement with our community.
The Senior External Communications Rep will:
- Support bureau employees by providing strategic communications services for the bureau’s incentive, compliance, and customer-service programs and city-wide communications needs, such as accessibility, planning, and safety, that affect the communities the bureau serves, particularly communities of color and historically underrepresented communities.
- Plan, develop, and implement inclusive communications plans and public awareness or marketing efforts including audience identification, message development, and strategies and tactics to raise awareness of and advance the bureau’s work within the community.
- Present information to individuals and groups and represent the bureau in meetings with groups and individuals.
- Manage select social media channels.
- Support the bureau’s media relations programs, including serving as back-up public information officer.
- Assist the Public Affairs Manager in supporting the external communications needs of the Director, Assistant Director, and bureau leadership team.
- Manage a wide variety of concurrent projects with conflicting priorities and multiple deadlines.
Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their supplemental question responses and resume how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Knowledge of and experience in the principles, methods and practices applied in design and implementation of communications, marketing, public affairs, and public participation.
- Experience developing and implementing communications plans or public awareness campaigns focused on elevating voices from historically underrepresented or marginalized communities.
- Knowledge of and experience in graphic design and digital marketing.
- Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with elected officials, representatives of other government agencies, business and community leaders and/or members of the media.
- Experience working with the media including serving as a spokesperson for an organization or agency.