Public Relations/Communications Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Manager of Administration
WORK LOCATION: Temporarily located in Seguin, Texas
Potential transition to New Braunfels, Texas
The PR/Communications Manager is responsible for leading the overall development and execution of GBRA’s internal and external communications strategy, public relations and social media platforms. This position is responsible for providing GBRA’s stakeholders and the public with information pertaining to GBRA’s purpose, goals, programs, projects and accomplishments. Responsibilities include all publications and literature including setting guidelines for appearance and content, advertising, and media relations. This position will serve as a spokesperson for GBRA which include public engagement, outreach, presentations, and the development of a social media presence. This position must establish public trust, a positive image for GBRA programs and initiatives in addition to creating and designing increased awareness and support of GBRA’s vital services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Leads strategic internal and external communication efforts through the development of communication plans, message development, media efforts, and public relations.
• Directly manages communication activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s reputation to both internal and external audiences.
• Supports GBRA’s strategic and operational initiatives by utilizing processes and communication technologies.
• Responsible for leading and managing a growing staff of communication professionals.
• Reviews, updates and implements GBRA’s employee communication strategy to keep employees informed and connected.
• Oversees organizational response to inquiries about GBRA.
• Maintains the internal and external company branding initiatives including web presence, style, content of communication, and standards for presentation materials.
• Tracks, analyzes, and makes recommendations on using media to advance GBRA’s communications.
• Implements and manages the use of outside resources and vendors, including any contracted writers, PR firms, photography, videography, graphic design, media, etc.
• Represents GBRA and coordinates with stakeholders in areas of joint interest including stakeholder communications, community outreach, and strategic initiatives.
• Maintains awareness of evolving industry trends and market developments.
• Develops overall communications policies and guidelines, as well as specific programs and projects related to communications and media relations, for GBRA.
• Provides materials, researches, conducts special assignments, and handles general inquiries as requested by senior management.
• Maintains direct contact with media representatives through the preparation, presentation, and distribution of news releases, special feature items, public service items, and oral communication. As needed, participates in media interviews when requested.
• Coordinates and provides presentations for public appearances on behalf of GBRA Directors and Executive Management.
• Coordinates the development of GBRA’s corporate communications materials and publications including special projects. Ensures conformity with mission statement, goals and publication guidelines. Publications include, but not limited to:
- Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
- Basin Highlight Report
- Annual River Run
• Develops, indexes, and archives public communication filing. Coordinates efforts with Records Manager.
• Provides public information and media contact assistance during rainfall, flood, and other emergency events throughout the basin.
• Oversees activities and events that create organization awareness.
• Assists with basin wide planning, writes GBRA portion of TWDB newsletters and Fact Sheets, sends reports to basin officials and provide details on programs to GBRA constituents.
• Coordinates GBRA participation in internal and external stakeholder events and initiatives.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Ability to develop strong, collaborative relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to interface effectively with government officials, media, special interest groups, employees and community partners.
• Skilled in planning leading and managing creative communication projects.
• Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills are essential, including ability to present concepts verbally.
• Superior project management and time management skills.
• Demonstrates the ability to lead and direct staff to achieve department goals and initiatives.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media.
Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Political Science, Public Affairs, Journalism, or a related field from an accredited college or university is required. Master’s degree preferred.
Current valid driver's license and ability to remain insurable under GBRA’s vehicle liability policy.
Minimum five years of progressively responsible experience managing communications and media relations including development and implementation of a strategic communications plan.
Minimum two years of experience with social media platforms.
Knowledge of utilities or municipality a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Standard physical activity such as periodic standing, walking, sitting, and basic motor skills to operate necessary computer programs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
$85,000 - $120,000 DOE