Located in Spartanburg, South Carolina, Spartanburg Water is an award-winning utility that offers team members a culture of innovation, a history of excellence and an investment in their continued success.
Nestled in the Piedmont region of South Carolina and a short drive away from the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains and ever-popular beaches of the South Carolina Lowcountry, Spartanburg is a thriving and growing community that is home to seven diverse and well-known institutions of higher learning. Residents enjoy incredible outdoor recreation opportunities, an eclectic and delicious local restaurant and brewery scene, a vibrant cultural environment and the benefits of strong economic growth with an affordable cost of living.
INNOVATION: Through innovative technologies and industry leading practices, Spartanburg Water has had the honor of twice receiving recognition as a Utility of the Future Today – and as one of only two South Carolina utilities to ever receive the award and only one of 18 utilities globally to receive the honor a second time.
HISTORY: Through sustainability and resiliency, Spartanburg Water has consistently provided the highest quality drinking water and wastewater services to our region for more than 100 years, and continues to be a vital part of the area’s successful economic growth and development.
INVESTMENT: Spartanburg Water offers a generous compensation package, including full medical, dental and vision benefits and participation in the SC Retirement System. The organization also offers tuition reimbursement and opportunities for paid certifications and training. Spartanburg Water firmly believes in the importance of investing in the health, security, and potential of all team members.
Spartanburg Water is seeking a dynamic, creative, innovative, and self-starting individual to be a member of our diverse and exceptional team and serve as Laboratory Manager.
What is a Laboratory Manager at Spartanburg Water?
1. The Laboratory Manager promotes an atmosphere of continuous improvement in all Laboratory Services operations to ensure the efficiency and improvement of treatment operations and compliance to all applicable standards and regulations by:
- Developing personnel through training and support for all aspects of analysis and data protocols.
- Providing the tools, skills, procedures, training, and other informational knowledge for personnel to complete their tasks.
- Continuous improvement of sampling and analyses, ensuring the accuracy and consistency of results.
- Networking with co-workers, professional colleagues, consultants, water and wastewater associations, and regulatory agencies to drive improvements within the Lab Services organization.
2. The Laboratory Manager is a vital link between Laboratory Services and Operations by:
- Ensuring the Laboratory is meeting the needs of Operations in their quest to improve and be compliant.
- Keeping constant open lines of communications between the Laboratory and Treatment Operations.
- Recognizing trends in data that may affect operations and potentially compliance.
- Understanding and providing support for regulatory changes that may occur.
3. The Laboratory Manager ensures data integrity and availability throughout the company by:
- Adherence to all QA/QC regulatory guidelines.
- Review of data for accuracy, completeness, and reasonableness.
- Utilization and upkeep of a LIMS system for archiving, reporting, and managing laboratory data in a timely manner.
- Maintaining necessary certification statuses and other credentials necessary for the production of accurate and defensible data to achieve regulatory compliance.
4. The Laboratory Manager is knowledgeable of:
- Drinking Water and Wastewater operations including Drinking Water Distribution and the Collection of Wastewater.
- Regulatory and sampling aspects of Drinking Water and Wastewater Operations.
- Laboratory analysis troubleshooting skills.
- Upcoming regulatory issues such as the Lead and Copper Rule, PFAS, etc.
- Permitting requirements for Drinking Water and Wastewater operations.
5. The Laboratory Manager directs overall management of the Laboratory, including:
- Planning of work and priorities.
- Selection, development, and promotion of employees.
- Conducting performance reviews and the related associated actions.
- Ensuring compliance to all Safety and Health Policies, as well as Spartanburg Water Policies and Procedures for all department employees.
- Maintaining budget within the approved limitations.
What minimum qualifications and experience requirements are necessary to be most successful in this essential leadership role?
Our Laboratory Manager should possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or other related field, with 5 or more years of progressively responsible experience in a water/wastewater/environmental laboratory; to include supervision, managing work flow, scheduling tasks, assigning work, managing data via LIMS, meeting regulatory requirements and deadlines, or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. The qualified candidate should also possess and maintain a valid driver’s license. Experience with Labworks LIMS, Crystal reports and MS Office applications is strongly preferred.