Examples of Duties
- Analyze the impact and application of federal and state environmental laws and regulations in the areas of water quality, air quality, solid/hazardous waste, Department of Transportation, OPS, EPCRA/CERCLA and Department of Agriculture including in connection with and in relation to the operational, strategic, and business operations of Metro. As assigned, provide legal counsel related to Metro’s environmental permits by independently managing the issues to conclusion. Recommend and assist with the development of compliance programs to address conditions of permits and regulations. Provides legal support for environmental regulation development and advocacy.
- Assist in the preparation, review, negotiation and oversight of documents for complex transactions, as needed, including contracts, intergovernmental agreements, proposals and real property instruments.
- Provides counsel relating to laws and regulations applicable to public entity including Open Meetings and Open Records laws.
- Develop and review policies, rules and regulations, and procedures for operational and business functions. Serve on committees and assist in the formulation and implementation of policies and practices.
- Participate in stakeholder groups, committees and associations as assigned. Participate in communication outreach activities including legislative efforts, as assigned.
- Prepare and review other documents to assist the business functions of Metro. Identifies legal issues, performs legal research and writes opinions on all pertinent legal issues.
- Represents Metro in hearings and legal proceedings as needed.
- Coordinates with and assists outside legal counsel to Metro.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school. Admission to the practice of law in the State of Colorado. Five years of experience in the practice of law. Direct experience with and a thorough understanding of the principles and practices of rulemaking, licensing or permitting, regulatory compliance, policy development, complex transactions, and the legal system. Basic understanding of general issues of law pertaining to governmental entities and the wastewater industry. Excellent oral and written communication and advocacy skills and the ability to coordinate with a variety of staff. Independent self-starter with demonstrated ability to manage multiple competing projects successfully while meeting deadlines.
Advanced knowledge of general issues of law pertaining to governmental entities and the wastewater industry including federal and state environmental laws and regulations. Experience practicing before the Colorado environmental commissions, representing public entities, and managing judicial and administrative litigation.