The Environmental Specialist position is a lead worker, project manager, and upper-level specialist position in the area of environmental resource science, watershed planning, and project management. Employees in this position use analytic skills and professional judgment to independently develop, evaluate and/or select environmental or natural resource science techniques, procedures and criteria; analyze data; design sampling and monitoring plans; assess watershed impacts and restoration actions, programs, and plans; and write regulatory reports. Some positions function as an expert on issues related to developing and implementing programs, plans and policies to comply with City, Regional, State and Federal regulations. The Environmental Specialist is responsible for directing the work of professional subordinates and performing and overseeing all phases of assigned projects.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge of physical, biological, and/or ecological sciences, including knowledge in one or more of the following areas: wetlands, water quality, chemistry, limnology, statistics, botany, environmental science, engineering, hydrology, soils, mathematics, microbiology, geology, or research methodology. ·
- Knowledge and experience applying theory and principles of environmental science to one or more of the following areas: technical investigations, impact analysis, monitoring, protection, restoration or natural resource management.
- Knowledge and experience working with environmental laws requiring scientific documentation for compliance, such as the Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Endangered Species Act, and/or other state and federal laws.
- Ability and experience analyzing and clearly presenting data and technical information in verbal, written, graphic, tabular or other forms and conducting effective presentations to various audiences, agencies and the public.
- Ability and experience conducting technical and policy research, analyzing complex problems, evaluating alternatives, and recommending effective courses of action.
- Ability and experience reviewing, organizing and directing the work of a work group; motivating assigned staff and managing work flow including developing project scope, budget, and schedule.
Salary Range: $34.60 - $44.19 hourly