Deputy General Manager, Operations and Maintenance
As a member of the senior management team and under the general supervision of the CEO/General Manager, responsible for the management and coordination of all activities associated with the operation of the various AlexRenew conveyance and treatment infrastructure and related activities. Overall responsible for approximately 55 employees and a $15 million dollar annual budget.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides assistance to the CEO/GM by planning, controlling, coordinating and monitoring all activities of assigned portfolio of functions.
- Serves as a member of the CEO/GM’s top management planning and decision team.
- Collaborates with the CEO/GM in developing strategic plans.
- Oversees implementation of the CEO/GM and Board’s strategic plans, initiatives and directives throughout the organization as it relates to areas of responsibility.
- Oversees long-range special projects and plans; serves as liaison to the CEO/GM for these projects.
- Coordinates the preparation and submission of the annual portfolio operating, improvement, renewal and replacement and capital expenditures budgets including a comprehensive report of financial, programmatic and administrative activities.
- Contributes as a member of the team that develops the AlexRenew budget and key policies.
- Appraises the CEO/GM of current and projected financial conditions and future fiscal needs.
- Staffs committees and initiatives as assigned by the CEO/GM.
- Meets and corresponds with various citizens, professional, business and other groups to answer questions and secure their help in carrying out various programs.
- Develops and implements goals, objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards for assigned portfolio of functions.
- Negotiates, reviews and approves all departmental agreements and vendor contracts, including those for design and construction, working closely with Purchasing.
- Prepares and submits written and oral reports to the CEO/GM, Board of Directors, citizen groups, the general public and the media.
- Chairs or participates in special CEO/GM or Board of Director’s Administrative or Program Committees or project teams; represents AlexRenew on various Boards, Commissions and Authorities.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with various AlexRenew, Virginia American Water and City departments including Transportation and Environmental Services to ensure capital improvement projects are delivered in a comprehensive manner.
- Represents the interests of AlexRenew to outside groups, organizations and regulatory agencies at the state and federal levels
- Actively promote safe behaviors and health awareness at all times in the execution of daily tasks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the experience, education, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Science or Management from an accredited college or university. Master’s degree preferred.
· Licensed professional engineer (PE) preferred.
· Valid Virginia Wastewater Works license or ability to obtain license preferred.
· Valid driver’s license issued by the state in which the incumbent resides.
- Ten (10) years of progressive experience in engineering and wastewater operations with a minimum of five (5) years management and supervisory experience; or equivalent combination of education or experience desired.
- Extensive skills in leading, motivating and communicating with a department of over 55 employees.
- Extensive skills in striving for excellent performance through planning and directing the work of others.
- Extensive skills in working effectively on a senior management team to ensure a forward thinking, highly effective organization.
- Extensive skill in maintaining effective working relationships with employees, officials, contractors, consultants and the general public.
- Considerable skill in both prepared and extemporaneous public speaking on utility matters.
- Extensive management and technical knowledge of combined and sanitary collectin systems, pump stations, and wastewater treatment plant operations.
- Considerable knowledge of pertinent environmental regulations effecting AlexRenew.
- Considerable knowledge of asset management methods utilized in water utilities.
- Thorough knowledge of rules, regulations and operational procedures utilized in public sector utilities.
- Thorough knowledge of labor relations methods.
- Considerable skill in preparing technical reports and public presentations.
- Ability to lead change to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization to meet organizational goals. Ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- Ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission and goals. The ability to provide an inclusive workplace and fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports the constructive resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to be results driven with meeting organizational goals and customer expectations. Ability to make decisions that produce high quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems and calculating risks.
- Knowledge of business acumen to effectively manage human, financial and information resources strategically.
- Ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and Local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments or international organizations to achieve common goals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee may perform on an occasional to regular basis while performing functions of this job. A detailed Physical Demands Analysis is available in Human Resources and a copy will be provided to all incumbents in this position.
While performing the duties of this job, typical of office work, include lifting up to 10 pounds, and minimal pushing or pulling.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Environmental conditions necessitate following strict safety guidelines and use of Personal Protective Equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs work indoors in a climate controlled environment, with outdoor trips between buildings. Infrequently perform work at construction sites or in operations ares of the facility subject to noise, odor, dust, etc.